(Plain Press, January 2015) Charter One Foundation, Ward 15 Councilman Matt Zone and the Detroit Shoreway Community Development Organization announced the awarding of seven grants totaling $25,000 to food businesses in the Gordon Square Arts District. The grants, ranging from $2,200 to $4,000, were awarded to four new food businesses and to three existing neighborhood food businesses.
At a December 9th reception at Daily Press at 6604 Detroit Avenue, the award sponsors announced their hopes that this investment will “help pave the way for the Gordon Squares Eats District with enhanced culinary options to further complement the blossoming arts and cultural development that is well established in Cleveland’s Detroit Shoreway neighborhood.”
The food businesses receiving the awards and their proposed use of the awards are as follows:
- Daily Press – signage and interior renovations for the new fresh, organic, cold-pressed juice maker that opened on October 21 at 6604 Detroit Avenue.
- Banter Beer and Wine – interior build out for the upcoming beer and wine shop and restaurant in the Cheerio Building at 7312 Detroit Avenue
- Local West – exterior signage and storefront enhancements for an upcoming craft sandwich and beer bistro at 7400 Detroit Avenue
- Agora Foods – storefront enhancements for the development of a Mediterranean food market and import business at 5417 Detroit Avenue
- Toast – new walk-in cooler for the restaurant and wine bar featuring locally sourced food at 1365 W. 65th Street.
- Rincon Criollo – interior renovations and equipment for the restaurant specializing in Puerto Rican food at 6604 Detroit Avenue
- Happy Dog – exterior renovations for the West Side hot dog and music venue at 5801 Detroit Avenue